Altha Moore, a friend of the University of North Texas at Dallas and GrowSouth AmeriCorps VISTA worker, has passed away.
The GrowSouth Americorps VISTA program is a partnership between the Urban SERCH Institute and the City of Dallas Mayor’s office. UNT Dallas has housed the VISTAs on campus since 2016, and worked closely with them in capacity building and service projects in west and southern Dallas.
A Pinkston High School graduate, Ms. Moore was born and raised in West Dallas. She served the past two years as a GrowSouth AmeriCorps VISTA working with community leaders to strengthen neighborhoods. She was a lifelong educator, entrepreneur and neighborhood leader with a heart for service.
Known by many as “Auntie,” Ms. Moore will forever be remembered by her family, friends and colleagues for her great sense of humor, positive attitude, gregarious laughter, kind, loving and beautiful spirit and her lifelong passion for helping others. She was always the magnetic energy of a room while effortlessly serving and loving others.
One of her favorite quotes is from Nelson Henderson: “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.”
During her term of service, some of her accomplishments include:
• Helped organize Jags Give Back/UNTD Gives in 2016 & 2017, recruiting 100+ students to contribute to community service projects throughout Dallas
• Engaged with or recruited over 1,100 volunteers in service to West Dallas, for over 3,000 service hours
• Trained over 120 citizens and community leaders on "restorative practices”, a relational approach to conflict
• Held more than 20 neighborhood membership walks with West Dallas partners Advocates for Community Transformation, Mayor’s Star Council and others.
• Established community sponsorships with Burpee Seeds, Quik Trip, Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out Burger, Walmart, others
• Organized and held Earth Day West Dallas and partnered with Keep Dallas Beautiful
Her service will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at Greater Mt. Hebron Baptist Church, 3421 Chihuahua Ave., Dallas.